|Assistant Professor of Quantitative Methods
Laboratory of Applied Political Research
Department of Political Sciences
Aristotle University Thessaloniki
46 Egnatia Str.,Thessaloniki
54625 Hellas (Greece)
Ioannis Andreadis is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Political Science, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He teaches the following courses: Mathematics for Political Sciences, Social Statistics, Spatial Electoral Analysis (using Ecological Inference) and Quantitative Methods for Political Sciences (postgraduate programme). His research areas are: Mathematics and Statistics Education, Electoral behaviour, Electoral geography, Public opinion research methods, Political analysis, Graph theory, Social statistics, Social networks, Ecological inference, Internet and Politics and Voting Advice Applications.
He is co-director and the designer and programmer of http://www.helpmevote.gr (Greek VAA completed by 480000 voters for the elections of May 2012) a web-based platform that aims to inform citizens about the electoral process and particularly about the positions of candidates and parties on issues related to the electoral competition.
He is a member of the Data Working Group of the COST action "The True European Voter: A Strategy For Analysing the Prospects of European Electoral Democracy That Includes the West, the South and the East of the Continent". He also serves as the webmaster of the site of the action: http://www.true-european-voter.eu
He is co-director of the Greek scientific team of the project CCS (Comparative Candidate Survey) a cross-national comparative survey study among party elites http://www.comparativecandidates.org
He is a collaborator of the Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES) Module 3.
He is a specialist on web surveys. He is the administrator of the site http://epolls.gr which is used to conduct web surveys. Among the most recent web surveys conducted are: "Greek Candidates Survey 2009" and "Helpmevote Survey on the impact of VAAs on voting behaviour".
He is the administrator of the Facebook page of helpmevote.gr which has served as the main medium of promotion of the Greek voting advice application to social media users: http://www.facebook.com/helpmevote (more than 4000 followers).
He has served as a member of the scientific team of the research project EarlyStatistics: Enhancing the Teaching and Learning of Early Statistical Reasoning in European Schools funded in the SOCRATES-COMENIUS framework. EarlyStatistics received the Best Cooperative Project Award in Statistical Literacy for 2009 by IASE (International Association for Statistical Education), the educational part of the ISI (International Statistical Institute).
He serves as a member of the Steering Committee of the ECPR standing group on Public Opinion and Voting Behaviour in a Comparative Perspective since September 2009.
He serves as a member of the Advisory Committee of the PSA Greek Politics Specialist Group since July 2010.
He serves as a substitute member of the Steering Committee of the Hellenic Political Science Association since May 2012.
He serves as a member of the Steering Committee of the WebDataNet COST Action since September 2012.
His proposal for the project entitled "Participation in elections for the European Parliament and Development of the European Citizenship" was evaluated and funded as one of the best new proposals for research in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. (26/2/2008-25/05/2009)
He serves as a reviewer for the journal: Journal of Informational Technology and Politics
He is member of various scientific associations including the following: Greek Statistical Institute, Greek Computer Society, Hellenic Mathematical Society, Hellenic Political Science Association, APSA (American Political Science Association), IPSA (International Political Science Association), PSA (Political Studies Association) and ECPR (European Consortium for Political Research) AAPOR (American Association for Public Opinion Research) ESRA (European Survey Research Association)
He has co-authored (with Prof. Theodore Chadjipadelis) the book "Mathematics for Political Sciences" (in Greek), Ziti Publications, Thessaloniki, 2005.
He is the author of several articles published in scientific journals and conference proceedings. His most recent work includes the following:
• To Clean or not to Clean? Improving the Quality of VAA Data presented at the 2012 IPSA World Congress, in Madrid: http://ipsa.org/sites/default/files/ipsa-events/madrid2012/papers/paper-...
• Political Groups of the European Parliament and Social Structure, Ioannis Andreadis, Theodore Chadjipadelis, Paper presented at the 6th ECPR General Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland, 25-27 August 2011 http://www.ecprnet.eu/MyECPR/proposals/reykjavik/uploads/papers/3560.pdf
• The structure of ideological space in Greece: mapping parties’ and voters’ policy preferences (Greek) Ioannis Andreadis, Eftichia Teperoglou, and Emmanouil Tsatsanis, Hellenic Political Science Review, 2011:38 p. 5-32 http://invenio.lib.auth.gr/record/129405/files/Ideological-space.pdf
• Mixed-mode surveys: Do different modes produce different data? Evidence from the Greek Candidate Survey, Ioannis Andreadis, Presented at the fourth Conference of the European Survey Research Association (ESRA) held in Lausanne, Switzerland, from the 18th to the 22nd of July, 2011 http://www.slideshare.net/johnand/mixed-mode-surveys
• A comparison of voters and party elites: evidence from political surveys in Greece, Ioannis Andreadis, 1st Annual General Conference of the European Political Science Association, June 16-18 2011, Guinness Storehouse Conference Centre, Dublin, Ireland http://www.slideshare.net/johnand/comparison-of-voters-and-party-elites
• Voting Advice Applications and their impact on elections, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore, paper presented at 61st Political Studies Association Annual Conference " Transforming Politics: New Synergies", London, UK, 19 - 21 April 2011, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2011/355_216.pdf
• The 2010 Elections for the Greek Regional Authorities, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore, paper presented at 61st Political Studies Association Annual Conference " Transforming Politics: New Synergies", London, UK, 19 - 21 April 2011, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2011/355_490.pdf
• Cleavages of Voters and Candidates in the National and the European Dimension: Convergences and Divergences (Greek) Teperoglou, E. Chadjipadelis, T. & Andreadis I., Science and Society - Journal of Political and Moral Theory, 2010:25 p.37-63 http://www.media.uoa.gr/sas/issues/25_issue/03.html (English abstract at: http://old.media.uoa.gr/sas/issues_en/25_issue/index.html)
• Comparison of Elections for the European and the National Parliament: the case of Greece, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore, paper presented at 60th Political Studies Association Annual Conference "Sixty Years of Political Studies: Achievements and Futures", University of Edinburgh, UK , 29 March - 1 April 2010, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2010/19_834.pdf
• Profiles of the European Political Groups, Chadjipadelis, Theodore and Andreadis, Ioannis, paper presented at 60th Political Studies Association Annual Conference "Sixty Years of Political Studies: Achievements and Futures", University of Edinburgh, UK , 29 March - 1 April 2010, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2010/19_917.pdf
• Web-based surveys,(Greek) Ioannis Andreadis, Proceedings of the 23rd Panhellenic Statistics Conference: "Statistics and Internet", Veroia, 7-11 April 2010, available online at: http://invenio.lib.auth.gr/record/126916/files/Web-based-surveys.pdf
• Parliamentary Elections in Greece: correspondence analysis and ecological inference, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore, paper presented at 59th Political Studies Association Annual Conference " Challenges for Democracy in a Global Era ", University of Manchester, UK, 7 - 9 April 2009, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2009/Andreadis.pdf
• The usefulness of ecological inference for the estimation of voter transition rates, Andreadis, Ioannis, paper presented at 59th Political Studies Association Annual Conference " Challenges for Democracy in a Global Era ", University of Manchester, UK, 7 - 9 April 2009, available online at: http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2009/Andreadis1.pdf
• A method for the estimation of voter transition rates, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore, Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties, 2009, 19(2):203-218 (download the algorithm and read the instructions).
• Characteristics of Greek Parliament candidates, Andreadis, Ioannis and Chadjipadelis, Theodore 58th Political Studies Association Annual Conference "Democracy, Governance and Conflict: Dilemmas of Theory and Practice", Swansea, UK, 1 - 3 April 2008, available online at: www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2008/Andreadis.pdf
• Voter transitions towards the Centre Union in the parliamentary elections of 1963 and 1964 (Greek), Chadjipadelis, T. and Andreadis, . Greek Political Science Review, (2007) v. 29, p. 90-111
• Analysis of the Cyprus Referendum on the Annan Plan. Th. Chadjipadelis and. I. Andreadis. 57th Political Studies Association Annual Conference ‘Europe and Global Politics’ (Bath, UK 2007), available at http://www.psa.ac.uk/journals/pdf/5/2007/Chadjipadelis.pdf
• Use of Projects for Teaching Social Statistics: Case Study, Th. Chadjipadelis and I. Andreadis, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Teaching Statistics: “Working Cooperatively in Statistics Education”, Salvador (Bahia), Brazil, July 2-7, 2006, available at http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~iase/publications/17/8C3_CHAD.pdf